What to do in Case of a Crash

Placeholder Alaska Other Regulations

  1. Stop at once. If you are blocking traffic, move your vehicle out of the way if possible.
  2. To prevent other crashes, warn other traffic. At night place flares or other signals on the road. Be careful not to walk out in front of other vehicles.
  3. Help anyone who may be hurt. Do not remove an injured person unless absolutely necessary. Arrange for an ambulance if needed. Stop serious bleeding and keep the victim warm.
  4. Exchange information with anyone else involved in the crash. Obtain the name, address, driver’s license number, license plate number, telephone number, and name of insurance company of the other driver. Obtain the identity of as many witnesses as you can.
  5. If there is an injury, or total property damage is $2000 or more, and the crash occurred within a municipality, immediately contact the local police department. If the crash occurred outside of a municipality, immediately contact the Alaska State Troopers.
  6. Cooperate with the investigating officer.
  7. Mail a written report of the crash to the Department of Administration, Division of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 110221, Juneau, Alaska 99811-0221 within 10 days.

This report is not required if the crash was investigated by a police officer. The crash report can also be completed on line through My Alaska. https://www.dot.state.ak.us/12209/ak12209main.jsp

  1. Upon striking an unattended vehicle, stop and attempt to locate the owner. If unable to do so leave a written note containing your name, address, and telephone number.
  2. A Certificate of Insurance is required on all crashes with property damage of $501.00 or more and must be submitted to DMV within 15 days, even if you submitted proof of insurance when law enforcement investigated the crash. You may obtain this form at any DMV office or on our web site.