ENTERING THE CONTROLLED ACCESS HIGHWAY-FREEWAY
- Use the acceleration lane to get up to cruising speed before attempting to merge into the traffic stream.
- Yield to approaching traffic on the freeway as you are about to enter and stop if necessary, but be cautious of the vehicles following you.
LEAVING THE EXPRESSWAY
- Keep moving on the expressway. A stop can result in a serious rear end crash. Move to the deceleration lane and then slow down.
- Plan ahead. Watch for exit signs. If you miss an exit don’t back up. Go to the next exit.
- If you take a wrong exit don’t stop. Stops are a primary cause of rear end crashes.
- Except in the case of emergency, parking is prohibited on the paved portion of the highway, the shoulders, or anywhere within right-of-way.
- Make only authorized turns on the highway or freeway.
- Dimming of headlights is required on divided highways as it is elsewhere.