All persons hunting on private lands of another must have written permission from the landowner with few exceptions. Hunting by the aid of bait is illegal in Alabama. All required hunting and fishing licenses must be in possession when hunting or fishing. An antlered buck and turkey harvest record must be in possession every time a person is hunting deer or turkey. It is unlawful to utilize or possess more than one harvest record.
Consult management area leaflet for special rules and regulations and seasons before hunting state wildlife management areas.
Any party controlling hunting rights may, by choice, be more restrictive on season and bag limits than those stipulated in this section.
(bare antlers visible above natural hairline)
- Statewide—one a day.
- White-tailed buck limit: three during all combined seasons. One of the three must have at least 4 antler points 1″ or longer on one antler (except for Barbour County). A point is an antler projection of at least one inch in length from base to tip. Main beam tip shall be counted as a point regardless of length.
- Barbour County Antler Restriction: white-tailed deer bucks must have a minimum of three points on one side (except on the statewide special youth deer hunting date).
- Mandatory Harvest Record.
UNANTLERED DEER (except spotted fawns)
- During the Unantlered Deer Gun, Special Muzzleloader, Bow and Arrow, Spear and Special Youth (under 16) Seasons: two deer per day—only one of which may be an antlered buck (two unantlered deer; or, one unantlered deer and one antlered deer).
SPECIAL YOUTH (under 16) DEER HUNTING
- Statewide, (includes all Privately Owned and Leased Lands and Open Permit – Public Lands [except Wildlife Management Areas]) on November 9–12. Dog hunting in those counties or parts of counties where and how it is allowed during the regular dog deer hunting season. Same legal arms and ammunition apply as in Unantlered Deer season, in accordance with Rule 220-2-.119. See the 2012–13 Wildlife Management Area Schedule for youth deer hunting dates and other information.