Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

General License & Fee Info


  • Dove Season Dates
  • Removed Bag Limit on Raccoon on Private Owned & Leased Lands.
  • Extended Trapping Season.
  • Changed Legal Arms for Selected Small Game.
  • Reduced Creel Limit on White Bass, Yellow Bass, Saltwater Striped Bass, Hybrids, Smallmouth Bass.
  • Clarified Releasing of Caught Fish by Tournament Sponsors.
  • Inclusion of Town Creek in Size Limit on Guntersville Reservoir.
  • Amended Saltwater Striped Bass Creel and Fishing Methods on Lake Martin & Lewis Smith Reservoirs.
  • Creel Limit Changed on Smallmouth Bass in Pickwick, Wheeler & Wilson Reservoirs.
  • Changed Saltwater Striped Bass Creel Limit on Thurlow, Yates & Inland Reservoirs.
  • Clarified Shoal Bass Restriction for Chattahoochee River.
  • Restricted Turtle Harvest.


This publication is provided as a popular guide to Alabama hunting and sport fishing laws and regulations. The Code of Alabama and the Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Regulation Book are the final authorities on laws and regulations relating to hunting and fishing. Contact the Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Division, District Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Offices or any Conservation Enforcement Officer if you have a legal question not adequately covered in this booklet.


To qualify for a resident hunting or fishing license, a person must be a bona fide resident of Alabama for a minimum of 90 days continuously immediately prior to purchasing any such license or be a member of U.S. military stationed in Alabama. For the purpose of buying hunting and fishing licenses, residency is determined by the Driver’s License issuance. Resident and nonresident annual hunting and fishing licenses are valid from September 1 through August 31 each year. Successfully completing an approved hunter education course is mandatory for all hunting license buyers born on or after August 1, 1977, see Hunter Education for exemptions. Licenses must be in possession while hunting or fishing. An antlered buck and turkey harvest record must be in possession every time a person is hunting deer or turkey. It is unlawful to utilize or possess more than one harvest record.

It is illegal to kill or cripple any species of game bird, game animal or game fish without making a reasonable effort to retrieve same and include it in the daily bag or creel limit, except all game fish not meeting legal length regulations, and protected species. An individual should not trail or retrieve game on property they do not have permission to enter. All game bags, hunting coats, camping equipment, live boxes, automobiles and such used in hunting and fishing will be open for inspection by officers of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.


Alabama hunting and fishing licenses are available in all sections of the State from approximately 425 special license agents in many sporting goods stores, marinas, and at all county courthouses. Licenses may also be purchased by mailing completed applications, proper payment and copy of driver’s license to Attn: License Sales, Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Division, 64 N. Union St., Suite 567, Montgomery, AL 36104. For application packet call
334) 242-3465 or e-mail or visit our website at It is illegal to willfully or knowingly make a false statement to a license agent when purchasing a license. It is also illegal to lend, borrow, sell, buy, rent or use another person’s license to hunt, fish or trap. A resident without an Alabama driver’s license must present proof of residency to a probate judge or license commissioner to purchase a license.


All licensed hunters who hunt doves, woodcock, rails, snipe, coots, ducks, or geese in Alabama are required by Federal law to obtain a Harvest Information Program (HIP) permit prior to hunting. The HIP program provides improved data collection on these species. This will allow hunting seasons for the various species to be set in an objective and efficient manner while maintaining healthy populations. HIP permits are free and are available wherever hunting licenses are sold. It takes a very short time to provide the requested information. In exchange for completing the HIP survey, you will receive proof of certification which must be in your possession while hunting migratory birds.


Hunting Licenses: Required for residents 16 years of age and under 65 years of age and nonresidents 16 years of age and older. Residents on active military duty home on leave may hunt and fish without licenses. (State and federal duck stamps are still required when hunting migratory waterfowl. Management Area License and Permit are required when hunting deer or turkey on a wildlife management area.) See Hunter Education .

NOTICE: At the time of printing, federal guidelines were not final concerning all migratory birds, including dove season dates. Check for updates prior to September.



You are…






Hunting on land
you own



Fishing from the bank (public waters) with a hook & line in the county you live in



Military Stationed
in Alabama


Stationed in
(30 days or more) may purchase resident license

Military Visiting Alabama

Home on leave —
No license required (must have copy of leave papers)

Purchase of
license required

* Residency is determined by Driver’s License State of Issuance.

Licenses are available by calling the toll-free number 1-888-848-6887 and online at For more information on all available licenses, how and where to purchase your license and application packets, visit


Duplicate Hunter Education Card

Do you need a duplicate Hunter Education Card?

You can now obtain a duplicate Hunter Education Card online. Go to and click on the hunting/hunter education link to print a duplicate Hunter Education Card.

Please call the Hunter Education Office at (800) 245-2740 if you have questions, or if you are unable to print a temporary card.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: