Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Enter Your Email Address:

Big Game

Brought to you by:


Deer, bear, moose, wild turkey, caribou, elk, and anadromous Atlantic salmon taken in the Connecticut River Basin are considered “big game.”


A big game animal must immediately be tagged when taken. The tag shall be placed on the carcass in a location that is open to view and remain there during possession and transportation, until the animal is cut up for consumption.

Transporting parts of big game is prohibited unless the parts or the package containing them are marked with the name and address of the person who killed the animal(s).


A person taking big game shall within 48 hours report the taking and exhibit the carcass to the nearest game warden, official Fish & Wildlife Department Reporting Station, or to a person designated by the commissioner to receive the reports. No big game carcass shall be transported out of state without first being reported.


It is illegal to transport big game taken by any illegal means, or taken in closed season. Deer do not need to be visible when transported.

All other regulations regarding the transportation of fish or game apply to the transportation of big game.


In order to legally transport into Vermont and possess big game that was legally taken in another state or country, a person must keep the tag that is required by the state or the country where the big game was taken. Each package of meat must be marked with the name of the person who took the animal, tag number, date, and state or country of origin.

Rules on Importing and Possession of Deer or Elk from Areas with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) and Captive Hunt Areas or Farms:

It is illegal to import or possess legally taken deer or elk, or parts of deer or elk, from states and Canadian provinces that have, or have had Chronic Wasting Disease, or from any captive hunt or farm facilities, regardless of its disease history, with the following exceptions:

  • Meat that is boneless.
  • Hides or capes with no part of the head attached.
  • Clean skull-cap with antlers attached.
  • Antlers with no other meat or tissue attached.
  • Finished taxidermy heads.
  • Upper canine teeth with no tissue attached.

Other fish or game legally taken in another state or country may be possessed and transported into Vermont in the presence of the person who took that fish or game.

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a fatal disease of the brain and nervous system in deer and elk. It produces lesions that cause death in deer and elk. For the latest information on CWD, check the following websites:,

Fines & Penalties

A person who violates state law or regulation while taking, possessing, transporting, buying or selling big game will face penalties that include fines, imprisonment, and license revocation. Violators shall be fined not more than $1,000, nor less than $400 for the first conviction. Upon a second and all subsequent convictions, the violator shall be fined not more than $2,000 nor less than $1,000. Violators may also be imprisoned for not more than 60 days, or may face both fine and imprisonment. License revocation is based on the point system (10 V.S.A. Sect. 4502).

Illegal Means of Taking

The following means of taking big game are not allowed: baiting, snares, traps, salt licks, jacks or other lights.

It is illegal to use a dog to hunt big game. Hunters are also prohibited from harboring or possessing while hunting a dog used for this purpose. Exceptions for hunting black bear and wild turkey with dogs are provided in Fish & Wildlife rules.


Legally taken big game may be possessed during the open season and for a reasonable time after the season has closed.

It is illegal to possess big game taken by any illegal devices or, any big game taken in closed season.

Any part of the carcass of legally taken big game may be possessed at any time in cans or in a cold storage locker or home freezer.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Department of Fish and Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Department of Fish and Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Department of Fish and Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: